Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

1 July 2013



It's always a scary thing to realize that another month has come and gone, or that another transfer is speedily approaching.  Hello, July!

Happy early 4th of July!  I can't really say I will be celebrating Independence day this year, but I'm sure that there is some sort of Catholic holiday sometime in June so I might still get to celebrate :P  Just kidding, but it was American week at Aldi (a grocery store) this past week.  It was kinda funny to see the foods that they considered to be 'traditional American-style food.'  

Apparently, we eat thick small pancakes, marshmallows, jelly-beans, hot dogs, and peanut butter.  But hoorrayyyyyyy for peanut butter, it was on sale for €1,60!  And it was a good, soft peanut butter too, still not the same as Jiffy, but we take what we can get. 

I finally got to watch the Übertragung (broadcast?) last night about missionary work.  At first I felt guilty taking 2 hours out of a Sunday evening when we could have spent the evening visiting our investigators, sometimes I forget that taking time to study (or even to eat...oooh sometimes we don't eat because we forget to take a break) because it's not 'missionary work.'  But it's still important to help us accomplish our goals.  Anyways, after I watched the broadcast, my excitement for this work was increased.  I'm glad that they focused on bringing less-active members back into activity, I think that's also something that missionaries forget is important sometimes.  Our job as missionaries is to invite EVERYONE to come unto Christ, and to support and serve EVERYONE in our area of responsibility, despite if they are a member, less active, or investigator.  

So I love my disctrict to death, and I think we have a lot of really talented and spiritual missionaries, but we have a big problem with sarcasm!  There's a lot of teasing and joking whenever we get together, which is fun, but not productive.  So Sister Jenson and I decided to implement a goal of saying only kind words, and using nice, but still funny, sarcasm.  We also brought up the idea of giving two compliments about someone whenever you say anything that could be taken as negative.  The Elders have kind of made a joke of it the past few days, but we have really seen a difference in our attitude towards one another.  And it just makes you so much more grateful and happy when you are giving compliments!  I'm so excited to see how it goes. 

One last spiritual thing before I go-Sister Jenson and I were reading together in Preach My Gospel in Ch.4 on how to better recognize the Spirit, and how we can do better at acting on spiritual promptings.  There is a section with scriptures under the heading 'Where should I go?'  and if you read all of the scriptures, every single one promises that the Holy Ghost will lead you where you need to go.  But the interesting thing was, despite all of the names that is used for the Holy Ghost, the one name that was used in every scripture was The Comforter.  When we are asking where we need to go or what we need to do, we may not always get an overwhelming spiritual confirmation that we are going in the right direction.  But we will always feel peace and comfort.
Thanks again everyone for all of your love and support.  I hope everyone has a great week and a good 4th of July!

-Sister Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment