Translate

Monday, September 30, 2013

A Day of PJ's and Cleaning Supplies with a side of Compliments for a Treat



Hallo, 

I looked at the calendar this morning and realized that today is the last day of September! How does time pass by so fast?

Oddly enough, the thought that came through my mind was the meme that normally starts with ''Brace yourselves!'' as I realized that I am about to experience my first October here in Germany.  You know you are a missionary when the reason why you are excited for Oktoberfest is the big variety of Dirndls and Lederhosen!!

You also know you are a missionary when you look forward to Fall Cleaning (mom would like to take this minute to say, who is this girl? She did NOT feel this way at home).  
Our mission set aside last Saturday as a day for us to deep clean our apartments, to get rid of junk, and reorganize things if needed.  
I cannot tell you how excited Sister Henry and I were to wear pajamas all day, and spend the entire day cleaning and working and getting dirty.  And we spent the WHOLE DAY cleaning!  But it was way fun, and now we both finally feel like the apartment we are living in is our own :)  It's good to feel zuHause!

My toothpaste says Frisco :)

Look Grandma, We had an inside picnic after we cleaned
So for our last transfer, our district placed a lot of emphasis on doing 'personal touches' for each other to build up district unity, and it was pretty much the coolest thing ever!  It has been a lot harder to keep that going this transfer, because we have more missionaries and we are all so busy and hardly ever see each other.  
Y'all are probably sick of hearing how great our Elders here in Freiburg are, but it's so true!  I have no idea what I am going to do when I get transferred to an area that is just Sisters.  
Anyways, we had just finished cleaning on Saturday and were finally sitting down to eat some dinner, when the Elders called us.  They asked how we were doing and how cleaning was going, yada yada yada, and then they said ''we are doing companionship inventory right now, and we just got to the part about talking about each others strengths.  Ok Sister Peterson, your strengths are...'' and they both listed 3 things about Sister Henry and I that they really appreciate.  They hung up as soon as they were done saying 3 things (probably because they knew that if they stayed on any longer, we would shower them with compliments right back)
Let me tell you, compliments are the coolest things ever!  The smallest thing can end up making the biggest difference.  They aren't hard to give, but they mean so much!

One of our Amazing Investigators
So Sister Henry and I ended up finding a family of potential investigators, but it was the weirdest experience of my life!  Sister Henry and I were waiting for the bus to go to the church on Tuesday, and we saw a woman sitting on the bench.  
She looked familiar to both of us, but neither of us decided to go talk to her.  We got off at the same stop, and we rushed by her, but still decided to slip in a friendly 'hello'.  
After we said hello, she stopped us and said she wanted to talk.  We got to know her a little bit, and in the middle of the conversation she pointed to the apartments behind her and said 'That is my house, here is my name, I am busy now, but I am mostly free, and I want you to come by and visit me!' 
This totally threw Sister Henry and I off guard!   It was way funny.  
We went by the next day, and Z's (the lady) teenage daughter answered and said her mom wasn't home.  We turned around to leave, but her daughter called after us and asked if we wanted to come inside and have tea.  So we came in and met Z's kids, had tea together, and pretty much just had a normal conversation for a while.  
We went to leave and said we would come back later when Z was home, and her daughter quickly gave us their number and told us to come back another time so we could all have dinner together.  I have no idea what the Lord has in mind for this family, but he has made it pretty clear that this family is ready for us to visit them, and he's not going to let two blonde girl's obliviousness get in the way of their progress :P

We also went by on a less active member that one of our ward members asked us to check up on, and she lives in the most gorgeous part of Freiburg I have seen so far!  
Its a place called Merzhausen, and it is breathtaking :)  


Pretty much all of my pictures this week are from there.  
I saw these little streams along the side of the road that reminded me of all the little streams in Logan and of being at Grandma's house in the summer time. I had to take a picture for her!
A little taste of meine Kindheit
There is no bus or Straßenbahn to get there, so we pretty much had to walk along a gorgeous back road for 15 minutes to get to her house. 
Even the graffiti is beautiful

Sister Henry. This walk was totally worth it

Look Mom, here I am in beautiful Freiburg, Germany

Sister Drury said that all the little dorfs in Freiburg look exactly like Italy.  So here you go, a few pictures of little Italy in Germany :)  I live in a beautiful place!

No comments:

Post a Comment