Translate

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Will You Marry Me???

Dear Mom, 
 (This is Kori's response to my thoughts on the possibility that our family may be leaving Texas after only a short time here. I wanted to share it because her perspective is one that applies for many situations)


       As I read your thoughts about leaving Texas now after it seems like you are finally breaking in and making some connections with people, it made me think of when Sister Pentz and I were together. I was in Linz for a very long time, and if you remember, I really struggled when I first got to Linz. I didn't feel wanted, I didn't feel like I had a purpose, and I kept praying that I would not stay there very long. But slowly, really slowly, I started to recognize why I was there and I could see the people that the Lord wanted me to bless and serve. When I was told I would be training again, I was confused all over again. I had already been in Linz for 6 months, and by assigning me to train again, that meant I would either be in Linz for 9 months or that I would only be training Sister Pentz halfway, both very odd situations. A few weeks after being with Sister Pentz, I got the strongest impression and confirmation of what the Lord the was thinking. I was in Linz to serve my time, to love the people, but that my time was coming to an end. If the lord had really wanted me to finish Sister Pentz's training, then he would have moved us together to a new area. I could easily have been transferred earlier and trained Sister Pentz in a different city. But the lord kept ME in Linz for the sole purpose that when Sister Pentz came in, SHE would be in Linz. My time was up, but hers was just starting.       
     We weren't in Texas for very long, and it also took a long time to know why we were there. But I believe that our family has served a good amount of time, and you have all done amazing things to the ward, your friends, and to bless the people in Frisco. But if your time is coming to an end, its okay! There are others in Frisco who will take the baton from you and keep running even when you are gone. Your time might not be over, but its okay if it is.  
     Remember the hair of our heads are numbered to the Lord. He knows where we need to be and who we need to touch- trust His guidance and follow His lead. And always, always remember He loves you! 

Well, I have decided that I will never, ever be able to become a translator. I am also pretty sure that the Lord has a wonderful time humbling me. 
Just a little look into my morning study time
Since I am getting more fluent with my German, I can pretty much understand everything that is said in sacrament meeting without having to constantly be in 'interpret mode'. Because of this, I have noticed that I have stopped really focusing my attention on understanding what the speakers are saying and have caught myself starting to doze off just a bit....(just so you know, Sundays are exhausting as a missionary).
Beautiful flowers from a friend
      Well, a family from Provo came to church yesterday to visit, and asked if I could translate for them. I have never been so mentally exhausted in my life! Because of the German word order, there are times where I have to listen to entire sentences, paragraphs and concepts before I can translate in a comprehensible way.  This poor family!!! I am still pretty sure that at least 2 out of every 15 words that I said were still German...On the bright side, I listened to the entire hour of sacrament meeting :) 

     Last week was one of THOSE weeks. Our key indicators were not too impressive to report, but Sister Erdenetsogt and I were SO BUSY!! One of the things I have had to get used to about Munich is that there are so many wards and missionary companionship's here. This makes finding a little complicated. In my previous areas, I used to be able to talk to whoever I wanted to, exchange contact information, and if they were interested, they'd be a new investigator within a week.
     But here is a bit different. When we find people, we have to make sure that they live in our area before we can begin teaching them. Most of the people that we find live in other ward boundaries, so we are constantly having pass-off lessons and swapping investigators with other missionaries. It is very different from my other areas! But I guess we are all participating in the same work, and it doesn't really matter which companionship ends up teaching someone, as long as they are getting taught and taken care of!
Do I look like a Texan?
      Summer is slowly, slowly creeping in...I love being a missionary in summer! There are so many more people on the street and in the parks; and so many more families!  It seems like everyone has so much more time and they are so much more open. But we also have a lot of really, well, funny experiences in summer.      
      Sister Erdenetsogt and I realized that we have never really gone dooring together, and we had extra time one day, so we went door-to-door. Now I understand why it is recommended that we only go door-to-door if we have nothing else to do ---> it's because we have TOO MUCH FUN!!! 
     The responses we get and the people we meet are nothing less than funny and memorable. We did find a few people though who are letting us come back :)  
 
     There is this amazing Italian family that Sister Erdenetsogt and I are teaching right now. The mom and dad are HILARIOUS, and they have 4 kids-G (16 yrs old), R (12), Maria (8) and G (2.)  'M' and 'F' have both agreed to be baptized, and 'M' is working his way on feeling ready. Last week, after teaching a lesson in church about the temple and eternal families, we found out that 'F' and 'M' are not married, which put a big damper on our excitment (before people can get baptized, they need to keep the law of chastity, which includes not living with a member of the opposite sex). Couples living together either need to live seperately, which were NOT about the ask this couple to do since they have kids, or to get married.
     Getting married is a pretty big thing to ask someone to do. Sister Erdenetsogt and I were just praying, praying, praying that 'F' would understand when we told her that she couldn't get baptized until she got married. We went over a few days later and taught about the law of chastity and eternal marriage, and told her straight up what she needed to do. 'M' walked into the lesson a little later, and she immediately called to him and said ''Honey! We have to get married.'' A little confused, 'M' asked what she was talking about. 'F' said ''The missionaries said we have to be married before I can get baptized. So we have to get married.'' 'M' looked as if he was thinking really hard about something. After a few seconds, 'F' shook her head and said ''See girls?  I told you he wouldn't do it. He doesn't want to marry me.'' As soon as she said that, 'M' marched over to us and said ''Now hold on a minute!!''  He walked to 'F', got down on one knee, took her hand and asked her to marry him. Of course, with 4 girls in the room, we all started to squeal. 'F' said yes of course ;) 
     So we are gonna have a marriage!!! They don't want a big wedding, they will just sign the papers at city hall and get baptized; BUT they are really looking forward to being married in the temple! The only problem is that they need to get their papers from Italy before they can get married, and the entire process of applying and waiting and having it be official can take a while...we still want them to get baptized with 'M' in a few weeks, so it will take a miracle!!! 
     Good thing that we live in such a way every day that we are able to call down the power of heaven and demand miracles, because the Lord has promised us them if we are obedient. Keep them in your prayers please, I know Heavenly Father will bring a blessing to this amazing family.
All in all, it was a good week- I hope yours was too.
Also, I know it's a little late, but I came across this video for a lesson and I wanted to share it with all the mother's out there! You do more than anyone truly realizes.
 https://www.lds.org/youth/video/thank-the-women-in-your-life?lang=eng

Love to all,
Sister Peterson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment