Translate

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Week #1- The First of Many



Guten Morgen meine Freunden! 

I don't really know what I was expecting at the MTC, but nothing can prepare you for what goes on as soon as you put on your nametag!  I checked in, dropped my luggage off, and then went to the classroom and started learning German.  My teachers hardly ever speak English, which can be really frustrating at times, but also really cool because then we are forced to learn super fast!  I thought I was good at German in 8th grade, but everything that I learned in one year I have learned just in the first day.  I have only been here 6 days, but it feels like I have been here for weeks!  Being here in the MTC is physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting.  We wake up at 6:30 (or earlier), go to the classroom (our only breaks are gym time and meal times) and then go to bed.  I think I added it up, and I spend anywhere between 10-12 hours in the classroom every day!  It may seem like a lot, but we are so busy every single minute.  We are studying our scriptures, studying the gospel, and most of all studying GERMAN.  I am nowhere near fluent yet, but it is crazy what I have learned in these first 6 days, I am excited to see what the rest of the 6 weeks will hold!  We are strongly encouraged to speak as little English as we can, pray in German, and bear our testimonies in German.  Even sacrament meeting is all in German!  On Friday, we started teaching our first "investigator", Stefan.  One of the most discouraging things is being able to understand what Stefan is saying, knowing exactly what to say, but not being able to communicate it to him.  My companion and I have taught Stefan 3 times now in German, and we get better each time, but we are still nowhere near perfect!
I am loving my district!  There are four Sisters and four Elders, and we are all going to the Alpine Mission except one companionship is going to Frankfurt, Germany.  At first, things were awkward between the Sisters and Elders (I guess this new age change has created some problems with romances between Sisters and Elders...) but after a few days we got used to each other, and now we are super close!  We have an Elder from England, and an Elder from Finland, which is super fun.  I kind of feel bad for the missionary from Finland, because he is learning German through English, which isn't his first language.  But we are all doing well and helping each other when we get discouraged (which is a lot!) and pressing forward with faith!
Fun news!  I guess my mission does include a small area in France as well.  Our mission and the France mission are the only missions that overlap, which is cool.  So I have the potential to visit 6 countries while I'm out in the field! 
One thing that me and my companion, Sister Regnier, were kinda upset about is that our nametags say "Sister Peterson", not "Schwester."  But I guess that in Germany, when people hear "Schwester Peterson" they would assume that I was a nun.  So the church has our nametags read Sister instead!  (But Sister Regnier and I still call each other Schwester ;)

Well almost one week down and 5 more to go!  Everyone says that once you hit Sunday and your first P-day, then time goes by a lot faster.  So I guess I will see after today!  Today we get to go to the temple, which I am super excited for since I haven't been since I took out my endowments.  Sister Regnier is a big temple buff, she's been to pretty much every temple in Utah and a lot in California.  Which is good, because I will still need her help figuring things out!

Ich weiss dass das Kirche wahr ist, und ich weiss dass unser Himmlischer Vater liebt unser.  Ich been sehr glucklich seinen ein Missionarie fur das Kirche Jesus Christus der Heiligen der Letzen Tage. 
Tschuss!
-Sister Peterson


No comments:

Post a Comment